Friday, June 13, 2008

NetBeans 6.1 Install Fun on Ubuntu 8.04

I just worked through a nagging little assertion error during a NetBeans 6.1 install to Ubuntu 8.04. Hopefully this helps someone.

First I made sure that I had Java 6 downloaded and installed on my 64 bit Ubuntu 8.04 OS.

I noticed the install script scans my hardware for jvms as early as 1.5. Here's the section of netbeans-6.1_ml-linux.sh that contains that information...

setJavaCompatibilityProperties_0() {
JAVA_COMP_VERSION_MIN="1.6.0_03"
JAVA_COMP_VERSION_MAX=""
JAVA_COMP_VENDOR=""
JAVA_COMP_OSNAME=""
JAVA_COMP_OSARCH=""
}

Notice I changed JAVA_COMP_VERSION_MIN to 1.6XXX. With the default settings the NetBeans install was picking up 1.5. I was getting Assertion errors and after using the sed option in this thread a blank welcome screen. After changing JAVA_COMP_VERSION_MIN the installer picked up 1.6 and ran fine. W00t! W00t!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

why you are installed 6.1m1, instead of the final release? :-)

regards,

adam

Rob Castellow said...

Hi Adam. You are correct. That was a late night mistake on my part. I verified the same solution works for 6.1 as well.

Cheers!

juandesant said...

It seems disabling the Appearance > Visual effects allows the installation using Java 1.5.x; you can reset them back after installing.