- Download Cygwin via the Cygwin.exe installer!
- Select the xinit app under the X11 libraries. The dependencies should be downloaded after being prompted to do so.
- Select openssh from the Cygwin libraries
- Open a Cygwin console. Type startxwin. More details on Cygwin/X can be found here.
- Install xauth on the remote server. I am using RedHat so all it required was 'yum install xauth'. You may also need to tweek the X11Forwarding setting in /etc/ssh/sshd_config file to allow X11 forwarding.
- type 'DISPLAY=
:0.0' on you local machine
- type 'export DISPLAY' on your local machine
- ssh -Y username@remotehost (use -v option if errors occur)
- Start remote app.